Auto glass services involve the replacement, repair, and tint of a vehicle’s glass, all of which require the skills and knowledge of a professional. But you may have heard the phrase “a man is only as good as his tools”. And, when it comes to running your auto glass shop, having the right tools is essential.
Your auto glass tools are one of the biggest investments that you’ll make as you launch and run your business. In the long run, having the right tools is going to help you deliver quality service, be successful, and make more money. It’s worth you taking the time to source the right auto glass tools you need.
If you’re just starting out, you can read our 10-step guide on how to start an auto glass shop. Maybe you’ve been in the business for a while and you’re just looking to upgrade your current kit. Either way, the right auto glass tools are going to make all the difference to the level of service you can offer. And you can minimize the amount of manpower required to get the job done.
Read on for a rundown of all the auto glass tools you need to run a successful business.
Make your auto glass business work for you.
Try the #1 auto glass business app for free. Make more money, save time, and look more professional.
Auto Glass Tools for Windshield Removal
One of the key components of auto glass work involves windshield removal. Given the delicate nature of working with glass, you need specialist auto glass tools to carry out your job. Below, we list the essential auto glass tools you should have in your windshield removal kit.
- Cut-Out Tool and Blade: A cordless or battery-powered handheld cut-out tool is used to remove the windshield. The reciprocating blade makes it easier to cut around the edge of the glass and separate it from the vehicle.
- Molding Removal Tool: This plastic or composite handheld tool is used to remove the molding from around the glass, giving you access to where it’s bonded to the car body.
- Cord and Wire Removal System: Vehicle manufactures are reducing or eliminating the amount of molding around the windshield. So it’s also worth investing in wire and cord cutting technology to help prevent body damage during the cutting process.
- Suction Cups: Heavy-duty suction cups allow you to maneuver the glass in and out of position. The vacuum mechanism and handles are designed specifically for handling auto glass, so that you minimize risks of having an accident.
- Auto Glass Setting Tool: By using an auto glass setting tool, you can extract and install glass with one technician—even if it’s heavy-duty glass.
- Glass racks: Glass racks provide a safe spot to place the glass when you need to put it down.
- Rear-View Mirror and Wiper Removal Tools: Specialist tools are required to remove the rear-view mirror and wipers without damaging them.
Auto Glass Tools for Windshield Installation
Glass is fragile, so you need auto glass tools that can help you handle glass from start to finish. And the best tools will allow you to complete a job using only one technician. You’re also less likely to cause an accident or break the glass if you have the right auto glass tools.
- Windshield Setting System: Windshield setting systems provide a platform to suspend the windshield above the urethane. The plates are held in place on the wiper post. Rollers then guide the windshield to the desired position.
- Razor Blades: Razor blades are used to remove old adhesive from the windshield, as well as excess adhesive from the new glass.
- Caulking Gun: The caulking gun is one of your most important auto glass tools. It is used to apply urethane adhesive to the frame, where the new glass will be set in.
- Daubers: Disposable wool daubers are used to apply primer to the windshield.
Auto Glass Scratch Repair Kits
It can be pretty common for glass to have minor scratches. Any scratches on the glass can end up causing you costly delays. It’s worth investing in an auto glass scratch repair kit for around $500.
These kits allow you to quickly repair isolated surface scratches on the glass and continue with the job at hand. That could help you not have to turn away work, which you might have to do without a repair solution.
Auto Glass Tool Kit
One way of ensuring you have all the auto glass tools you need is by investing in an auto glass tool kit. There are a range of professional tool kits available on the market, from basic to premium. And you can spend anywhere from $500 to $4,500 on your entire auto glass kit.
Buying your auto glass tools as a package like this is a great option for ease and simplicity. But, you may prefer to build your own customized tool kit. It’s really a matter of preference.
Some businesses choose to buy more basic auto glass tools at the beginning, and then build and improve their kit over time. And if you’re looking to keep down your initial investment, this can be a great strategy.
Whether you buy your auto glass tools as a kit or individually, look for warranties on your power tools, in case anything should go wrong in your first year.
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
Handling large pieces of glass and auto glass tools can be dangerous work. Without the right personal protective equipment (PPE), nasty (and costly) accidents can happen. All auto glass technicians should think about using gloves and safety glasses. You should also always have a first aid kit ready to go in case anything happens.
Tools for Window Tinting
Tools for window tinting can be purchased as a kit for less than $200. A professional kit typically has everything you need to get started, including a tool apron with pockets, a razor knife, professional handles (for use with blades or squeegees, also included), a scraping tool, a window tint, heavy duty cleaning pads, replacement blades, a hand-held sprayer, and a Bulldozer applicator. You often have to purchase your heat gun separately.
Business Technology for Glass Professionals
When we think about tools for an auto glass business, we tend to focus on the hardware, as outlined above. But investing in the right auto glass technology is just as important.
Utilizing the right software will ensure greater efficiency, higher revenues, and make you look more professional. Mobile Tech Rx’s glass repair app and window tint app have been designed specifically for auto glass professionals. That means you get a user-friendly auto glass technology that’s intuitive to your needs.
Here are some benefits of the Mobile Tech RX technology platform:
- Create fast digital estimates and professional, branded invoices
- Collect payment through the app
- Integrate with QuickBooks
- Access to CRM and marketing tools
- Document damage and minimize your risk
- Run business reports
With Mobile Tech RX you can build accurate and consistent estimates, run real-time reports, and manage your accounting with QuickBooks, and more with an all-in-one app. Just like any of your tools, the auto glass technology you choose will help you run a more successful business.
Mobile Tech RX is the country’s number one business management tool for auto glass professionals. To make more money and grow your auto glass business, try it now for free.