The windshield and glass of a car is integral to its safety. Auto glass repair and replacement requires the skill and expertise of a qualified technician. But for professionals running their own business, it can be difficult to know how much to charge for an auto glass estimate.
The average auto glass replacement quote comes in anywhere from $150 up to $1,000. So the range is huge. But with an effective pricing strategy, an auto glass professional can make a lot of money.
Read on to learn how to create a high-value auto glass estimate, so that you can maximize your profits.
Creating an Auto Glass Estimate: What Not To Do
Let’s address one of the biggest problems of creating an auto glass estimate first. One big challenge is the range of pricing you’ll find in the industry. While one business may come up with a $175 auto glass replacement quote, another may charge $400+. This makes it difficult for both business owners and customers to understand the true value of the work.
A lot of the disparity comes down to the variables that go into the job. That’s because there are a few different factors that can affect an auto glass estimate and could make the price go up or down. Here are 2 things you SHOULD NOT do:
- You SHOULD NOT come up with one set price for your service! If you do, you are undervaluing your work if other factors are in play.
- You SHOULD NOT come up with prices off the top of your head either. You do need some sort of consistency, which builds trust with customers.
So what SHOULD you do?
Use a variable-based pricing strategy – it’s the best way to ensure that you charge what your time is actually worth. That way, you can come up with an auto glass estimate that’s dependent on the work involved.
A Variable-Based Pricing Strategy: What To Do
A variable-based pricing strategy helps you charge what you’re worth and keeps your auto glass prices high.
Here are a few variables to consider when creating an auto glass estimate:
- Extent of damage: The size and location of the damage will determine whether the glass needs repaired or replaced. An entire replacement is obviously going to cost more than a repair. And a small pit crack will take less time to fix than a larger star crack, so it should cost less.
- Type of vehicle: The year, make, and model of the vehicle will determine the work involved and how long the job will take. A newer windshield with rain and condensation sensors will require more labor, for example.
- Type of glass: The most expensive glass on the market is Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) glass and it’s the top of the line. Original Equipment Equivalent (OEE) glass is a less costly option but doesn’t carry the original logo. Aftermarket glass is the cheapest and you can expect to charge 40% to 60% less for it than OEM. Some auto glass businesses do not offer Aftermarket glass.
While the list of variables is relatively short, the range within them is large. This means that you should know how to price the variables, so you can create a high-value auto glass estimate.
But trying to assess variables under pressure is challenging. You also might face customer objections. (More on convincing customers to pay a higher price here.)
That’s why you want to have a clear set of parameters for determining your auto glass replacement or repair quote. Think about all the variables in advance and price them accordingly.
Upgrade your business with estimating software.
Try the #1 app for auto glass techs for free. Make more money and look more professional.
Set a Labor Rate for Your Business
Another factor to consider when coming up with an auto glass estimate is your and your employees’ time. By setting an hourly labor rate, you can quickly and consistently come up with pricing based on the time it will take you to complete a job. Setting a labor rate is a simple way to account for all of the variables, because the more complex the job, the longer it will take.
Consider your location, competition, and level of experience when coming up with your hourly rate and then stick to it. You can then use it to come up with any auto glass estimate, along with pricing any other services you offer.
Technology Can Help Create High-Value Auto Glass Estimates
When it comes to creating a high-value auto glass estimate, you want your pricing strategy to be consistent. But that can be difficult to achieve, especially if you have to communicate that strategy with a team.
That’s where technology can help. Mobile Tech RX is an estimating app designed specifically for auto recon professionals. It will give you accurate and consistent estimates every time. And it can be used by all your team members so that there are no discrepancies between employees.
Using the Mobile Tech RX auto glass app, you build your auto glass estimate on the spot working through the variables as you go. The interactive vehicle diagrams let you create an auto glass estimate based on the repair location and type. This is user-friendly for you and looks professional to your customer.
You set the pricing for the variables, so that they’re pre-programmed into the app when you’re building a quote.
By providing legitimacy to your pricing using an app like Mobile Tech RX, you can cut out negotiations with your customer. And that means a high-value auto glass estimate every time.